The VLC media player is the most widely used open-source, cross-platform and best video cutter media player. It not only supports the majority of common video formats but also has basic video editing capabilities.
Many people now use the software to play a video file and are unaware of how to trim video in VLC; a nice feature of the VLC software is that it also includes trimming/cropping tools to enhance its users viewing experience. It can be useful for shortening recorded videos, audios, movies, and a variety of many other video file formats.
It can convert videos to different formats, extract audio from video files, rotate and flip videos, and have various other useful features. One of the other features is the ability to cut sections of a video file into short clips.
Follow this link to download the VLC Player Media Player and then return to see how to cut video in VLC Media Player.
9 Steps to Cut Video Clips Using VLC Media Player
- You can cut a video segment to create a separate video file that is smaller in size. It allows you to keep only the relevant parts of a video and discard the rest of the file.
- Launch VLC Media Player. To use the advanced control tools, go to the View menu and select “Advanced Controls.“
- Now, open your video file by selecting Open File (Ctrl+O) from the Media menu.
- We can now use the Recording feature to record a piece of the video that will be saved as a separate file. When you open your video, it will begin to play.
- Now, pause the video and move the seek bar slider to where you’d like the recording to begin.
- Now, press the Record button, followed by the Play button. The VLC player is now recording the video.
- Wait for the video slider/seeker to reach the endpoint of the extracted video clip.
- When it gets to that point, press the Record button once more to stop the recording. Don’t close VLC instantly because it may take a few seconds to save the recorded video.
- In Windows 7 computers, you will save your video clip in C: UsersVideos. It would appear in your default Video Library folder in Windows 8 and 10. Likewise, you can search by entering the original video’s old file name in the search box. VLC generates the new file name based on the file name of your original video.
What are the Compatible VLC Formats?
Wrap up on How to trim video in VLC: