If you’re into pen testing or hacking, you’ve probably heard of the Linux distribution Kali Linux. In this tutorial, we will go over the entire process of dual booting Windows 10 and Kali Linux on your PC/Laptop.
Kali Linux is a popular Linux distribution that comes with almost all hacking tools pre-installed. It is also more portable and lightweight than most operating systems.
Even though Kali Linux is capable of performing the majority of daily tasks, the majority of us prefer Windows OS for our daily and multimedia needs.
Many amateur pen testers use Kali Linux in their virtual machine, but the virtual machine will irritate you in the long run.
Dual booting Windows 10 and Kali Linux is the only solution for anyone in a similar situation. We’ve had a lot of requests from your guys for this article, and it’s finally here. (Please feel free to contact them with any questions.)
Don’t understand what Dual booting is? It is the process of installing two distinct operating systems on the same PC or laptop. You can simply select your Operating System before the computer boots up with dual booting. Isn’t that fantastic?
n this article, we will walk you through the entire process of dual booting your Kali Linux machine alongside your Windows 10 machine. So, without further ado, let us get to the point of the article.
PREREQUISITES FOR DUAL-BOOTING WINDOWS 10 WITH KALI LINUX
- Working PC / Laptop with Windows 10 installed.
- Kali Linux ISO file.
- Pen drive- Minimum 4 Gb.
1. DOWNLOADING KALI LINUX ISO
To begin, you must download your Kali Linux ISO file. Simply go to the link below and select your preferred version of Kali Linux.
DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.kali.org/downloads
It is recommended that you download the standard version of Kali Linux because it contains all of the necessary tools for pen testing. If you only intend to use Kali Linux for a single task, you can opt for the Lite version.
2. CREATE BOOTABLE USB
To make the ISO bootable, you’ll need a simple application called “RUFUS,” which simplifies the process. Simply go to this link to download and install Rufus on your computer.
DOWNLOAD LINK: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Now Plug your USB pen drive into your computer and launch the Rufus application. [Please keep in mind that all of your data on the pen drive will be erased. So don’t forget to make a backup of those files.]
Now, select the pen drive and ISO file that you recently downloaded. Then, press the start button and enjoy a cup of coffee. Please unplug your pen drive from your computer once this process has completed.
3. ALLOCATE MEMORY FOR KALI LINUX
It is not possible to install two different operating systems on the same partition of your HDD / SSD. As a result, you must set aside memory for your Linux. Simply press the WIN+X key and select disc management or Ctrl+R, then type diskmgmt.msc.
Now, select any of your partitions and press the shrink button. Enter the amount of MB you want to shrink now. It is recommended that you have at least 30 GB of free space when using Kali Linux.
4. BOOT YOUR USB
It’s finally time to install Kali Linux on your system. Restart your computer and navigate to the boot menu by pressing the boot key. Always use Google if you are unsure. (Don’t forget to enable USB boot in the bios settings.) Choose your pen drive and press the Enter key.
QUICK FIX: Before we get into the steps, we’ll go over a quick fix for a driver issue that many of you may encounter while installing. If you notice any type of driver failure, please let us know. Simply unplug your pen drive for nearly 10 seconds before plugging it back in, and your error will be gone.
- The boot process will now begin, and you will be prompted with a Kali Linux welcome screen, from which you must select Graphical Install.
- Choose your preferred language and then press the next button.
- Choose your country and then press the next button.
- Select your keyboard layout and then press the next button.
- Select your Network Configuration, and then click the next button to make the Hostname the default.
- You can simply leave the Domain Field blank.
- You must now select your root password and verify it once more.
- Ok. You’ve reached the critical stage of dual booting Windows 10 and Kali Linux. This is the stage where the majority of users become confused, so we made it very simple to avoid any confusion.
- Click Continue after selecting the manual in Partition discs.
- Select the partition you created in Windows’ disc manager and press the continue button.
- Now, select Automatically partition the new space and press the Continue button.
- Select All Files in a Single Partition, then Finish Partition and Write Changes to Disk. Now, as is customary, click the continue button.
- The system will now request your permission. Yes, and then wait for 15 minutes for the installation to complete.
- After System Installation, select NO in-network mirror and Yes to Grub bootloader, then click Continue to complete the installation.
It’s time to eject your USB drive and restart your computer. You are now in the Grub bootloader, where you must select your operating system to boot into. That is all there is to it. You have successfully dual booted Kali Linux and Windows 10.
We have written this article in a very simple manner that will allow you to know how to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Kali Linux quickly and easily. However, if you encounter any errors, please let us know in the comments section below.
Share this article with your tech-savvy friends and like it on all of your social media platforms. Thank you for taking the time to read. Cheers!